Ken Hurford, the founder of the business, had spent the war servicing radios on Lancaster Aircraft and so decided to use this knowledge to establish his own Radio business in 1947. Televisions were not generally available until 1952 when the Wenvoe Transmitter situated in South Wales started to transmit. Prior to this he had built his own television set and was able to a receive a BBC signal from a transmitter in Sutton Coalfield, the television was built in time for the Coronation and was set up in Beaminster Town Hall for all to see.
Hurford’s first shop was situated in Hogshill Street, Beaminster where Radios were sold and repaired , he then expanded into the sale of Televisions and the installation of Aerials which became main stream following the transmission of ITV in 1956. He was joined by his son Stan and in 1962 when the shop moved to the site which most people remember in Church Street, Beaminster.
The business has always provided high quality, friendly customer services and high standards of knowledge based workmanship, standards which we continue to maintain to this day. Hurford’s is still run by family members who are proud to continue the standards set all those years ago and to keep abreast of advancements in technology as Ken did in the early days of radio and television moving the business into the Satellite, internet and TV interface era.